Old 02-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Judanne

Default Hello

"Jeff Anderson" wrote in message
I tried that, I bought an amazing array of plants touted by various
nurseries as ground cover and tried to have them overcome the lawn. It was a
draw

** Try some Sheet Mulching. That should solve all your problems.

With this drought, the areas that haven't been watered are so hard that a
mattock bounces off. I have been breaking the soil on the high side up with
a heavy crow bar. I now have a water licence so I will soak it for a week or
two and then continue.

** I remember reading many years ago in one of the self sufficiency mags
about a couple who bought land that sounds just like yours. They composted
and sheet mulched the whole are and it became workable. They didn't do
things by halves, though, went out and asked all the neighbours for their
lawn clippings, went to the local supermarkets for spoiled foods, composted
them all down and applied them generously.

Judanne