Old 02-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Tumbleweed

Default A Danger to the World’s Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Peter wrote in message following Pete the troll whose message is
snipped...
/ This is an nice argument against allowing multinational companies to
control our food supplies. As such I have little argument with it.
However it is not an argument against GM as a technology, neither does
it present real risks associated with release of this technology into
the environment. Some applications, may be risky, some may be harmful.
This is therefore an argument for the careful evaluation of each product
on a case by case basis. Which is the regime we currently have.

But does what we have now work? I keep seeing Sweetcorn used as a GM trial
crop when it is wind pollinated and in my book should never be allowed to

go
to trial for the very reason that it's pollen is outside the control of
those doing the trial and is able to contaminate crops many miles away. To
think my Sweetcorn may be GM contaminated (with what genes?) is appalling

me.
Is Sweetcorn modified with the genes of a frog still sweetcorn? Or is it
frogcorn? :-)

Many of the genes in a frog are in you and the non GM sweetcorn anyway.
If there is a gene in you which is also in sweetcorn (there are), does that
make you sweetcorn?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)