Old 02-10-2003, 04:13 PM

Default say non to GM - Join the Tractors & Trolley Parade - Monday 13th October 2003 London

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:24:00 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

martin wrote in
:

But we produce newly genetically modified potatoes every year or so
and have done so since time immemorial..

My neighbour even won a large prize for doing this.

Well yes OK.

But those modifications are not designed specifically to allow him to chuck
on piles of stuff that is damaging to the surrounding area, nor does he
interbreed his potatoes with, say, gerbils.

I am prepared to believe those that know more about it than me, that no
harm would come, at least of the latter, and indeed that the area will
probably manage to bounce back from the former too, over time.

But as there seem to be ample test areas for checking this sort of thing
elsewhere, I still don't see why they need to be done here and now.

When they invent a strawberry-flavoured GM swede that cures the common cold
and will grow only in Norfolk, then I shall be all for it, but 'slightly
better maize'? Hardly a warcry, is it?

If the GM tomatoes are anything to go by, it'll look great, feel
great, grow really well, but be completely tasteless anyway.
. . . . . . . .

The facts expressed here belong to everybody,
the opinions to me.
The distinction is yours to draw...

/( )`
\ \___ / |