Old 02-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Bob Hobden

Default A Danger to the World’s Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message after me...

But does what we have now work? I keep seeing Sweetcorn used as a GM

trial
crop when it is wind pollinated and in my book should never be allowed

go
to trial for the very reason that it's pollen is outside the control of
those doing the trial and is able to contaminate crops many miles away.

think my Sweetcorn may be GM contaminated (with what genes?) is

appalling
me.
Is Sweetcorn modified with the genes of a frog still sweetcorn? Or is it
frogcorn? :-)

Many of the genes in a frog are in you and the non GM sweetcorn anyway.
If there is a gene in you which is also in sweetcorn (there are), does

that
make you sweetcorn?

No because all the genes in me are supposed to be there no matter what else
they are in, whereas, if you insert a gene that is specific to another
species that can then be passed on to it's new hosts progeny is it still the
same thing or is it something new, a new species?
If it is a "new" species then it cannot be called what the original was
called i.e. GM Soya should not be called Soya at all but needs another name
both scientifically and generally.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.