Old 02-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Bob Hobden

Default A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Oz" wrote in message after me again ((snip))

I've said it before, if they wish to use GM now it must be with plants

that
cannot flower, are genetically engineered not to flower, or we could be
heading down a very slippery path where all our crops, indeed, a lot of

wild
flora, are contaminated with genes that should not be there and it will

be
too late to reverse the process.

Multiplication of seed would be impossible, and in any case this isn't
necessary. All that is required is calm and rational assessment of the
risks to take a rational decision. Further, it's worth remembering that
plants are packed with toxins already, which is why each plant typically
has only a small number of pests. Only those resistant to the plant
toxins can survive on them. Chemical warfare between plants and pests
has been going on for hundreds of millions of years, and not a single
plant has outwitted the insects. The reason for the differences (usually
visual) between insect species probably owes as much to preventing the
wrong species breeding as to anything else.

Assessment of risks can only take place when we have full knowledge of the
possible risks and understand the processes fully. I don't think we do yet.
Still scientists working in this field get unexpected results, especially as
inserted genes turn on latent genes, proof they aren't yet in control of the
process, haven't yet mastered the subject.
It's a bit like when they got soldiers to stand up and watch a nuclear
explosion just to see what happens, this time it's the whole world they are
making stand up.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.