Old 03-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Bob Hobden

Default A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Oz" wrote in message in reply to me
Assessment of risks can only take place when we have full knowledge of

the
possible risks and understand the processes fully.

Factually incorrect.
Assessment can take place at any time.
It's accuracy may depend on our depth of knowledge, and usually does.
Note that we have quite a bit of knowledge of genes and introductions.

Perhaps I should have inserted Worthwhile or Meaningfull at the beginning.

Still scientists working in this field get unexpected results, especially

as
inserted genes turn on latent genes, proof they aren't yet in control of

the
process, haven't yet mastered the subject.

Mutations happen all the time and produce quite unexpected results.
The whole biosphere is in an orgy of reproduction that produces billions
of mutations annually. It's what biological systems have been doing for
a billion years. Nothing new there.

Not talking mutations of genes here, talking about latent genes that are
already there but that don't "do" anything suddenly making things happen
after the GM insertion of another gene triggers them into action.

It's a bit like when they got soldiers to stand up and watch a nuclear
explosion just to see what happens, this time it's the whole world they

are
making stand up.

I think you underestimate the resilience of biological systems,
particularly to point mutations.

I have little doubt that GM will not cause the total destruction of life on
earth, however, it will cause change, possibly some destruction of species,
more use of chemicals in farming, inability of farmers to save their own
seed for the next crop, contamination of other crops/wild flora.........
Will it be change for better or worse? Do we know yet? Other than those
companies involved making lots more money I don't think so.

I suspect we will never agree on this subject. Well not for some years
anyway.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.