Old 04-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Rod Craddock

Default Alligator saw - valid alternative to chainsaw ?

Eric the Red wrote:
I asked a question about budget chainsaws and plus the searches through
newsgroups, the general opinion is don't do it they are too dangerous.

Just to get things in perspective. Chainsaws are not dangerous. In fact
they are inanimate objects quite incapable of harming anything - until
somebody picks them up and starts doing things with them. Maintained and
used correctly they are userfriendly and no more dangerous than many
other power tools. Problems arise now that almost anybody can get hold
of one and start trying to use it even if they have no experience of
power tools, of manual work, of the basics of pruning and felling trees
and cutting logs or any awareness of possible dangers arising from any
of the above. Years ago we learned the principles using hand tools,
slowly over a long period then we began to fit power tools into the job
that we were already skilled in. It's still possible to do that but more
likely that someone will either do a basic course first (OK, if you
don't then go off thinking you know it all - you've only just started on
the learning curve - forget that at your peril) or they will just start
using a saw with no instruction, no idea of how to do the work or of how
to use the saw and with no intention of reading the manual - which
usually covers the basics quite well enough for anyone who is already
experienced in working with trees and preferably in working with other
power tools perhaps in another context.
Compared with the saws I learned with, modern saws are bristling with
safety features like anti - vibration, chain brake, chain catcher
(Franz!) Hand shields, anti-kick chains etc. The operator is equipped
with first class protection for limbs, feet, head, face and hearing - if
you are not then don't touch a chainsaw. Be prepared to pay at least as
much for that kit as you would for a cheapish saw. All of this makes
hiring look more attractive for occasional users because the hire
company will offer a modern professional machine (Usually a cut above
the cheapo saw you might be tempted to buy) and will offer the safety
kit as an optional part of the hire. Don't rely on the hire shop for any
training though - unless things have changed a lot recently you'll just
be shown how to start and stop the machine, how to refuel and how to
adjust the chain.

Rod