Old 04-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Bob Hobden

Default A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Franz wrote in message

Ever heard of natural interspecific hybrids?

Yes, but they are normally within the same genera and if you had been
following this discussion you would have seen me mention frog genes added to
sweetcorn. So that happens naturally?

BUT my point is that scientists cannot predict these "mutations" caused

when
they start inserting foreign genes into something, they happen

unexpectedly
and cause unexpected results in the Lab .

Mother Nature cannot predict these "mutations" caused .......(sic)
The scientists *can* predict the primary result of a gene modification.

Do
you think they waste their time randomly mucking about in the hopes that
something useful might turn up?

Please read what I have written and it's context, my comment was to show why
I don't think GM is ready for release from the Lab.

The scientists don't know whats going on!

On the contrary. The scientists involved know one hell of a lot about

what
is going on. That is why they can make controlled genetic changes whereas
Mother Nature just does it by sucking and seeing.

These genetic changes they are making, it is very doubtfull they would
happen in nature so what they are doing is un-natural, no harm in that when
they are fully aware of what is happening and what will happen (no second
chances with this science). But are they?

I think you would have made a more valid point if you had not mixed up the
science involved in genetic modification, with the interests of the
Agrochemical companies involved.

But that's the point, they are linked, indeed they are the same companies
which is why I don't trust the science too much. Too much pressure.

But such is the nature of capitalism.....

Too true. Too true.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.