Old 05-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Bob Hobden

Default A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Oz" wrote in message ...

BUT my point is that scientists cannot predict these "mutations"

caused
when
they start inserting foreign genes into something, they happen

unexpectedly
and cause unexpected results in the Lab .

Indeed, that's why the plants get screened first. In fact they probably
go through a conventional breeding program as any 'useful gene' does,
with plenty of time to check any aberration. So far I don't think there
is a single example you can point to in the field.

I am sure and indeed hope that there is sufficient study done to ensure
nothing seriously wrong gets into the environment, but you obviously

agree
such things do turn up which rather proves my case.

Lots of mechanical designs go wrong at the design stage. That doesn't
mean you scrap the design completely, normally you refine it to overcome
the problems. Almost nothing (electrical, mechanical, whatever) brought
to market avoids this refining stage. Consequently I cannot see anything
novel or worrying in your argument.

We are back to that Parsley that flowered and contaminated the wild parsley
growing nearby. Should that have been allowed out of the Lab? I don't think
so, not with a wild plant nearby able to cross with the GM plant.
It was an accident they said, it shouldn't have been allowed to flower they
said, well who the hell was in control of that experiment, GM scientists!
Fills me with confidence regarding their abilities.

But we obviously read the same evidence in different ways and reach
different conclusions. We also differ in our thoughts regarding who

is
controlling this science and why.

No, I think the difference is that you cannot place your knowledge
accurately into the reality of both farming and nature.

Interesting comment! Don't forget big business here too, or have you
conveniently forgotten who is controlling most of the GM science and why.

Big deal. The car manufacturers 'control' cars, electronics
manufacturers 'control' electronics and drug manufacturers 'control'
drugs. The seed manufacturers get their patents and copyrights ripped
off by 2nd and 3rd world farmers within 12 months.

Interesting that last point, again it confirms my opinion that it's too soon
to be in use, this time because legal controls on use obviously aren't
working in some countries.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.