Old 05-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Bob Hobden

Default A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Oz" wrote in message in reply to...
Bob
"Franz wrote in message

Can't you understand the difference between natural mutation and the
insertion of a completely foreign gene, one that would not get there
naturally?

Can't you understand that here is no gene more foreign than one which
results from a random natural mutation? The damn thing did not even

*exist*
before.

Are you sure on that? I though a mutated gene was one that simply changed
not came into spontaneous existance.

Eh? What is the difference between that 'changed' to give RR resistance,
and a gene added to give RR resistance?

Where it came from and how, an unnatural source that I am not yet sure
"Nature" can always cope with in it's normal way. From your replies I
understand you are sure. So we will have to differ on that.

Doubling of genes is not at all unheard of, in fact it's quite common.

And you don't seem to get to grips with the fact that around 999999
out of 1000000 natural mutations are deleterious and most of them are
removed by selection in subsequent generations.

Will that happen with GM then? No,

Yes. It's a gene like any other.
Only continual selection keeps the genes as you want them for a crop
plant.

Being GM crops (or any crops) these genes will not be allowed to disappear
by natural selection will they. So your comment was irrevelent.

With regard to any escaped GM genes, they could die out or quite the
reverse, they could make the wild plant more suited to it's environment and
the one with the GM gene would then start to take over ousting the original
plant. That's one of the old worries about GM. No doubt the GM scientists
are watching those wild Parsley plants in France with great interest.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.