Old 05-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Bob Hobden

Default A Danger to the World's Food: Genetic Engineering and the EconomicInterests of the Life Science

"Franz tried to confuse me ( don't take much)

Can't you understand the difference between natural mutation and

the
insertion of a completely foreign gene, one that would not get

there
naturally?

Can't you understand that here is no gene more foreign than one which
results from a random natural mutation? The damn thing did not even
*exist*
before.

Are you sure on that? I though a mutated gene was one that simply

changed
not came into spontaneous existance.

Yes, I am quite sure of that. A mutated gene is a gene which is not the
gene which existed at that spot before the mutation occurred. It is
therefore a new gene which exists at that spot after the mutation has
occurred. It may express itself in a way which bears no obvious
relationship to the gene which originally occupied that spot.

We are splitting hairs here and are both correct if you think about it. :-)
There are no more genes after the mutation or change of one (or more) of
them.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.