Old 07-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Oncidium Sharry Baby

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 04:58:12 GMT, "TB"
wrote:

It's in a plastic pot with large fir bark and a thin layer of lava rock on
top for the look only. I believe that I have not taken enough care to
always keep it moist though. I thought the bark held moisture pretty well
but now don't believe that to have been sufficient. I will add the fine
bark for retention.

I'd like to repot into a more attractive container, perhaps a glazed
ceramic.
I have always had new leaves coming out and actually removed about a third
of the plant last time I repotted. About a year back. I also may have been
fertilizing to often recently (the last 5 or 6 months). No blooms.

My wife says that I should get a new one and I reply that I will when she
replaces the cat.
It's the only Orchid that I have and do like the plant.

TB

I think you are short of light. Sharry Baby can have leaves
bleached yellow by the sun. It likes pretty strong light. If
your hand about 10" above the plant will not cast a distinct
shadow, your light is Phal bright. You need to slowly work the
plant into more light.

If any salt build up shows on the lava rock, remove the rock and
flush the pot with pure water. If there is no discoloration from
the fertilizers, I would go forward with 1/2 strength every other
time you water. Some people prefer 1/4 strength every time and
the first week of every month flush the pot with just water.

Sharry Baby can bloom most anytime. I have one completely done
and one just in bud now. So keep the faith and slowly move her
to a brighter spot. Remember she can sunburn just like you would
if you went from winter blahs to Summer sun and sat out all day.

Good luck and good growing. I have to ask. How did you last
that long with only one plant? Most of us have gone from 1 to a
dozen in less than a month.
SuE