Old 07-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Toni

Default Problems cycling tank

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
I started with three very friendly goldfish and now I've got two left
that don't look good at all. I thought adding plants to the tank
while it cycled made it more stable. What's going on???
Setup is 20 gallon tall with 1 watt/gallon light, and a whisper
filter.
The plants a moneywort, carolina wort, sagitarius, amazon sword and
walmart bulbs (one of which has sprouted after 1 week)
The tank has been running for almost three weeks. I'm planning on
testing pH and nitrates tomorrow to see what's going on.
Should I remove the plants?
I also have an undergravel filter powered by a powerhead that I can
run. Should I get this running?

First, your tank is borderline overstocked. Goldfish are notorius waste
producers and not a good choice for cycling a tank. Your filtration is going
to be inadequate, but I don't think a UG filter with goldfish is a good idea
at all. A larger power filter with bio wheels would help tremendously.

I would not remove the plants.

I *would* get a test kit and start testing ASAP.
Test kits are essential- we cannot know what is going on in your water
without test results.
Three weeks with no testing means the fish are suffering- you've already
lost one.

What has been your water changing schedule so far?
The remaining fish will get permanent gill damage by living in ammonia laden
water if you aren't changing frequently.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm