Old 08-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Oncidium Sharry Baby

TB,

Like the others have said Sharry Baby enjoys a lot of light. Gradually give
it some more.

You did not say when the plant was last repotted. These should be repotted
when the new growth begins to send out new roots. Older pseudobulbs don't
send out new roots and if the roots are damaged on the older pseudobulbs
they begin to shrivel up from dehydration. Also if the roots have died
because the medium has decayed that may explain the brown ends of the
leaves.

Usually these grow like weeds. I know one grower from Pennsylvania that
brings them to the October Orchid Show with bulbs the size of large flat
grapefruit and 8 feet flower stems. He sells out as quickly as he brings
them to the table. He grows his in a pro-mix (mud) but that can be
difficult for the hobbiest to grow and not rot the roots. I grow mine in a
cocohusk/aliflor mix in clay pots. Each growth throw out one or two flower
spikes when the growth matures. I usually get two blooms a year or about
every 8 months.

Good growing,
Gene