Old 08-10-2003, 05:02 PM
IC_Gardener

Default The Wonders of Tromboncino Zucchini....

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote in message ...

But the Tromboncinos!... Good grief! Talk about vigorous!

I planted Tromboncinos last year, since I love vertical gardening and
wanted some summer squash. They did very well, but I was not
impressed at all with their flavor. They had a very, well, green
taste to me, not much like a summer squash at all. But they did take
over my entire 16' W X 8' H trellis, and even reached 4' feet through
open space to reach into a small crab apple tree behind the garden.
The vines completely covered the top of the tree. (I let them grow
out of curiousity.) The mature fruits looked quite odd; 3' long
baseball bats hanging from the top of the apple tree after the leaves
had fallen! It was well into december before they dropped off.

I now get my summer squash from the farmers market, and put the
trellis space into mini pumpkins for the kids.

IC Gardener
Iowa City, Iowa
Zone 5A