Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Organic remedy for tomato blight ?

"Peter Richards" wrote in message
news
Hi Steve,

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:17 +0100 (BST), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

In article ,
(Peter Richards) wrote:

Our new tomato plants are showing signs of dark brown and light purple
patches on the leaves, obviously blight.

This is a very silly time of year to be bothering about new tomato
plants unless you are a long way from the UK.

I forgot to mention that I live in Australia, and before I get flamed
for posting on a UK newsgroup, here is my rationale:

1. I searched through the newsgroups for "organic", and this one
certainly had the most postings, therefore this was the best NG to
post my question.

2. Tomatoes are, .... well, tomatoes, it doesn't matter where they
are grown (UK or Oz), and no doubt in the UK, tomato blight would be a
problem also, therefore it was this NG I was seeking an answer.

3. Even if I lived in the UK, this would not be a 'silly' time of the
year to plant tomatoes (i.e. I may have a hothouse).

Your description matches tomato leaf mould. I had quite a bit of this
for months but it didn't spread much and I had a superb crop without
spraying.

This is spreading, and yes, appears to be some sort of mould or fungal
disease. As we saw a show on TV that recommended milk for fixing many
tomato 'woes', we have sprayed the plants with milk. It will either
kill them or cure them I guess.

Hello Peter in Oz,

Welcome to this newsgroup. Please don't be angry or run away or be
apologetic.
Maybe we can all talk sense if we always remember that our seasons are out
of phase.

Franz