Old 11-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Organic remedy for tomato blight ?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Peter wrote in message
I forgot to mention that I live in Australia,

Now we understand the problem, I thought your original post a bit strange
for the UK, welcome. We get posts and replies from all over, it's just we
need to know where you are outside the UK because of the season

differences,
otherwise growing is growing. What part of Oz are we talking about,

there's
a bit of climate difference between ,say, Adelaide and Port Douglas. :-)

As others have said, if it is "Tomato Blight" (and that's the same disease
as Potato Blight) then any Toms that have it already should be pulled up

and
burnt, there is no organic cure for that disease.
However, and this is where I get flamed, you can prevent the infection of
plants by spraying with "Bordeaux Mixture" which is a mixture of Copper
sulphate and Lime. Whilst not used by strict organic purists it does

appear
in organic catalogues and is used by some, especially if they have to grow
their crop outside. Just wash the fruit well before using.

LOL. Flame coming :-) I'd really like to understand on what basis anyone can
call such a toxic mixture of chemicals 'organic'. Whats 'organic' about it,
precisely, other than the bizzarre fact its in an 'organic' catalogue for
historical resaons? Is that the definition of organic now?
And ...'Just wash the fruit well before using'? What about all those ads
decrying pesticides and complaining 'why should I have to wash chemicals off
my food before I eat it'?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)