Old 16-10-2003, 07:14 PM
ned

Default Does ivy harm old houses?

Steve Harris wrote:
In article
1g2vzo5.54uecywkqsn4N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net,
(Jim W) wrote:

Ivy will ususally cause more damage to old soft lime mortar and/or
red victorian brick

There is such a wall near here. Some of it is bare while the rest is
covered with ivy. Recently, some of the ivy has been removed to

reveal
brickwork (and mortar) in MUCH better condition than the long-term
bare area.

I think its fair to summarise all these views by saying that ivy on a
sound structure will not 'damage' it. But ivy growing on a wall which
has inherent weaknesses will undoubtedly take advantage of cracks or
crumbling mortar/brickwork and will make the problem worse.
Just as ivy can get under tiles and slates, so it will invade cracked
mortar and prise weak brickwork apart.
Ivy may be 'a dumb plant' but I am prepared to bet that it can find
and take advantage of a weak spot before the weakness is detected by
the human eye.
I err on the side of safety. No ivy grows on my walls.

--
ned