Old 17-10-2003, 06:02 AM
vincent p. norris

Default Which fertilizer for Fall lawn care???

Balanced fertilizer is no longer the most effective.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/greenhouse.htm

For some reason, I can't get that web site. But I have a a couple of
questions.

The word "balanced" traditionally has meant the same quantity of N,P,
and K, such as 5-5-5, 10-10-10, 20-20-20, and so forth. Is that
correct?

A year or so I read, somewhere, that the problem with that definition
of "balanced" is that plants don't need the same amounts of N, P, and
K. They need them in the ratio, IIRC, 5-2-3.

Is that also correct?

But would grass (and perhaps "foliage plants" need a different ratio
than plants that produce blossoms? or tomatoes?

(Is that what the web site is about? I'll keep trying to get it.)

Thanks. vince norris