Old 01-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Shiva

Default Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation

James Delahanty wrote:

a baby La Paloma (is that an Austin??)

No, a Tantau....

Oops. Is that the same as "The Dove?" And if not, is the latter an Austin?
I really thought this one was an Austin.

iceberg was killed by ground bees

The fauna is telling you something.....

Tell me! The little bahstahds STUNG me! Okay, here is the truth: I had
Great Century there, and they made a nest underneath and around it. (These
tiny bees love drought conditions. That is when they appear.) I quickly
dug out GC (suited up, waited until they weren't swarming near the
entrance, sliced the shovel down one side, ran away, waited, repeated,
then heaved it out and into a waiting pot. I then treated the area with
Very Nasty Bee Killer. A foam number you shoot into the holes. Left it
alone for a month or so, observing just a few confused bees coming around
at first, then none. Dug out the soil, replaced it, and put climbing
Iceberg in, because I wanted to make a "room" there, with an arching
trellis/whatever. Blinking bees snuck back in and stung my neck before I
noticed they were back. So, let's hear from the anti-spray folks about how
delicate bees are--how sensitive to chemicals. These got ten-day shots of
orthenex all spring and summer, too. Sure they have extra sets of eyes and
are developing feathers, but they can still sting!

(G)

JD