Old 02-02-2003, 07:17 AM
FOW

Default Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation

I have a Henry Fonda that is very nice.Not Too big yet, about 3x4 ft. high.
No fragrance but nice if cut as little buds, after the Septal Petals have
spread out.A way bit deeper Yellow than Sunsprite.
Real Yellow as compared to Sunsprite light - medium Yellow.
I hear St. Patrick is nice too, also it's flower is Green before Yellow.
Those are my picks for Yellow roses , so far.......
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
Debabrata Ghosh wrote:
Hi,
Any recommendation for a deep/bright yellow (not pale yellow) rose
that is fragrant too. I have shortlisted Sunsprite and Midas Touch,
but, none seems to be very fragrant (I thought Sunsprite was, but,
Edmund's catalog calls its fragrance to be slight). I have Oregold
which has nice color but no fragrance at all.

Thanks,
Debu.
Portland, OR, Z6.

Sunsprite *is* fragrant, and this rose even wins at times in the
Fragrance class in Rose shows according to reliable Rosarians in
Northern California. It appears as if Edmund's may have inherites a
clone that is not and that is what they are offering .

I got my fragrant Susnprite from a local nursery (Liggett's) that got
sold to Ashdown Roses which bought all their stock as well. And their
catalogue describes Sunsprite like this: "A dark yellow floribunda with
intense fragrance from the Kordes family. The double blooms and bushy
growth habit make this good for the mid-border spot needing a splash of
yellow." So, it looks like may be Ashdown carries the fragrant Sunsprite
that I purchased over here in San Jose. If you would like to search
their site as well as to contact them:
http://www.ashdownroses.com/sorttop.asp

Another yellow rose that I find fragrant and does very well here is
King's Ransom:
http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=3625

Lord Mountbatten is a fragrant floribunda that thrives he
http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=27642

Of course, Soleil d'Or is the most fragrant rose of any colour to my
nose, but I cannot recommend it for your climate, since most people say
that it is very susceptible to fungal diseases.

--
Radika
California