Old 23-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Down Under On The Bucket Farm

Default Compost - Blood And Bone Meal To "Activate"?

Hi Everybody,

I have read a number of times that it is good to add a bit of
blood-and-bone-meal to compost, to get it working faster. This
includes various Web sites, NG posts, and packaging for said
substance.

I have started adding a bit to my compost-in-progress.

However, I am wondering... What exactly is the
chemical/biological mechanism here? The b-b meal is a dry
powder, so I am doubtful of micro-organsms living in there. Is
it just based upon giving the compost a blast of nutrients???

Thanks in advance...

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz