Old 25-10-2003, 05:02 AM
paxwax1

Default Leaf cutting bee.

Thanks to all.
I found a few answers too.
http://www.ento.csiro.au/research/pe..._research.html
http://www.floraforfauna.com/downloa...ative_Bees.pdf
http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=242

Cheers Pax

"Wanda" wrote in message
I thought the same. I had a colony of the things living in various holes

in
a retaining wall at my last place. I think they were also called

Australian
Blue Bee?

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Don Smith" wrote:

Commonly known as the saw-fly. Its grubs gather in big clusters on

the
trees and are sometimes called "spitfires".

Really? IME spitfires are very obvious and tend to defoliate rather

than
cut
circles. I thought the leaf-cutting bee was a solitary native bee that

used
the leaves for its nest. I would move a few other plants to the same

area
in
the hope that the bee will move on to them.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the

astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a

stupider
one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc