Old 25-10-2003, 07:42 PM
dada

Default vandas light level

i'm interested in a vanda coerulea.. i tries to email u but it bounced
back............

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
I agree with what K Barrett said. I wouldn't advise growing any vandas

below
45-50 deg F. Those in the low temp range would be hybrids using V

coerulea.
The sun strength here in southern SC is similiar to yours. All of our

vandas
take full sun from Oct to April. From May to Sept they all go under 20%
shade. The terete -leaved vandas stay under these conditions. The
strap-leaved ones get an additional 20% shade for the months of

June-August.
This includes the vandaceous hybrids such as Ascocendas. The bright light
and fertilizer gives you the blooms. I'm sure you could give less light

and
they would survive (may or may not bloom), or more light where they may do
just as well or suffer some burn (esp if you're not careful with

watering).
They're all worth a try fr the wonderful flowers. Contact me off line if
you're interested in some V coerulea.
Gary

"K Barrett" wrote in message
With proper case selection you could grow some vandaceous orchids

outside,
however IMHO they'd do better with some protection from the cold and
shadecloth. Anything with sanderiana in the background will want more
warmth. Some of the interesting crosses with other non-sanderiana

species
might work. Reportedly coerulea crosses take more cool temps, but IMHO

that
means the cooler side of warm rather than cool itself.

In anycase, even the Thais use shadecloth.

K Barrett
"ron doctors" wrote in message
om...
I am in Santa Barbara California. I have a couple of questions about
Vandas?
1. Can Vandas take full sun here?
2. What is minimum temperature. We get down to 30F at times, but next
to house probably no lower than 38F. I wanted to find out if I caould
keep the Vandas outside year round.
I keep all my other orchids inside right next to a SW facing window
with a shade cloth over the window, water very very thoroughly once a
week and they do well producing continuous flowers. ( not on the same
plant ! ). I fertilize by a spray once a month at about 1/4 strength
using Peter's Orchid food .
Any help on Vanda's in this area would be most appreciated.
Thank you , ( if possible please email directly as well as posting to
this group.)