Old 27-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Wanda from West Virginia

Default bent grass-bent out of shape

Well, if you're trying to grow bentgrass for a lawn, that's your first
mistake. Bentgrass is high maintenance stuff and requires a helluva lot
more time and effort than the average Joe (or Wanda) has. Kill it with
Roundup and plant something easier to grow. Like bluegrass or ryegrass
if you live in the north, fescue if in the middle or bermuda, St.
Augustine or some other warm season grass if you live in the south.

Danno wrote:
I've been struggling with bent grass for about 4 seasons now, and I'm
throwing in the towel! I have been diligent. I have aerated every spring,
and I've tried dethatchers and power rakes, and it's only gotten worse. I
have Scotts 4-step and even a personal 12-step program where I've admitted
defeat and it still haunts me. I have been putting up flower beds, edging
out long strips and planted ornamental grasses, anything that would give me
less lawn! I came close to having the whole thing paved.
After making the last mowing of the season this weekend, I've decided that
I won't put it with this again next year. I want it GONE. I only have about
2500 sq ft but I don't know what the best way to approach this undertaking.
I'd like to have a 'normal' lawn at some point, but I've got a few low spots
and some ripples throughout the yard so should I just have a bobcat come in
and tear everything up, level everything off, and take it from there?

Dan