Old 28-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Elguapo

Default Vinca major - Blue Periwinkle - what a damn pain !

I'll swap you your Vinc Major/Blue Periwinkle problem for my kikuyu problem
any day!! How the planet is not covered from pole to pole with this stuff
beats me.

"Alex Phare" wrote in message
Hi

We've bought a five acre place in Gippsland, and the previous owners

appear
to have planted several of the flower beds with lots and lots of Vinca

major
/ Blue Periwinkle.

It became a dense undergrowth which out competed a whole bunch of nice
plants.

We've pulled all that we could out, and are now in the long process of
watching what comes back up - lots and lots of periwinkle of course - and
doing what we can.

I've read the reports that only strong solutions of roundup, particularly

if
combined with slashing it, will kill it due to the waxy cuticle. We have
found very strong solutions do eventually kill it....

I have also read about occluding sunlight with black plastic but would
rather not have to cover our beds up...

Anyone got any other tips on getting rid of this nasty stuff ?

Oh, we also have been left heaps and heaps of "pigs ear" but that's not so
bad. We filled an 11 metre skip with a ton and half of weeds when we moved
in....

Alex