Old 28-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Poppies

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:02:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"Ron Clark" wrote in message
.. .
~ On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:
~
~ Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil

do
~they
~ prefer?
~
~I have always wondered what it is that makes one particular species of

poppy
~produce that very expensive resin. Has anybody experimented with any of

the
~common or garden species/varieties to find out if they might actually be
~worth their weight in gold?
~
~Franz
~
~
I think it's temperature dependent.
I read somewhere earlier this summer that normal British temperatures
aren't hot enough for poppies to produce anything dangerous.
Might even have been on here!!

Don't know if this is correct, but I'd be fascinated to find out. I
passed thousands on the southbound M1 verge near Northampton in early
summer. Very pretty they were!

Yes. And think of the vast amounts of wealth which is probably going to
waste in the Vale of York.

Franz