Old 29-10-2003, 01:02 AM
John Savage

Default Compost - Blood And Bone Meal To "Activate"?

Pam Rudd writes:
I sure am rethinking my use of blood and bonemeal now. Have only very
occasionally used it anyhow..

Well, if you're using products made from US cows, you shouldn't
be any more at risk than if you eat beef from US cows. So far

A few years back a national tv gardening program commissioned a lab
analysis of different brands of "Blood & Bone" garden fertiliser here
in Australia. They found that a few brands contained no blood and no
bone. Really! These were a just mixture of chemical fertilisers, in
amounts and proportions that gave a similar N P K etc. analysis to what
would be expected in real organic B & B. I'm not sure whether this was
allowable under retail regulations. Anyway, I'm wondering whether such
a substitution might exist in the US? IIRC, real B & B here carries the
warning that the product may contain traces of arsenic (a former tick
spray, I think, long abandoned but very persistent in the environment).