Old 29-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Chet Hayes

Default Mud pit...what to do???

"Phrederick" wrote in message news:frznb.207198$6C4.84971@pd7tw1no...
"gill" wrote in message
So anyway......

I did think it had dried up the other day so I borrowed a roller but
to no avail.....you can't even walk behind without sinking.

Any other ideas, or just wait it out?

If it's that wet, add more fill (dirt, sand, etc.) and try rolling it in. If
it gets that loose when wet, you need more fill.

The OP didn't indicate where he lives. If it's not in a warm part of
the county and the soil is stable enough so that it won't erode or
cause problems over the winter, I would just let it settle by itself.
It's really too late to plant most desirable grasses in most parts of
the country.

Sounds like you wound up with a lot of loose top soil to fill a deep
hole. This problem could have been avoided by using gravel or other
appropriate fill as a base first, compacting it and then screened top
soil for the last 7 inchs or so. I'd also make sure that excess water
from the driveway, etc. is channeled away from this area, not filling
it with more water.