Old 29-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Heidi

Default Keeping Basil

I'm curious as to the taste of your basil. I picked off some leaves on
my basil plant 2 weeks ago and the leaves tasted exceptionally bitter.
My plant is a sweet basil, the kind normally used for pesto. Has anyone
had the same experience? What can make basil extra bitter? I had
assumed it was because I harvested the leaves so late in the season.

TIA!
Heidi

Anne Lurie wrote:

A few weeks ago, when I was concerned that we might have a frost here, I cut
several stems of basil & stuck them into a vase, thinking I could keep the
basil relatively fresh until we could make pesto.

Although we picked off some leaves, we hadn't pulled the stems themselves
out of the vase, even when changing the water in the vase. We were
surprised to see that the stems had rooted! (And these were cut stems, not
whole plants.) So, today I cut more stems and put them in the vase with a
little MiracleGro to see what happens.

Has anyone else had any experience with something like this? I suppose
basil is among the few tender herbs that would need the help

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh