Old 01-11-2003, 01:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Tomatoes and cold weather?

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Still frost free in coastal Suffolk - although it is turning colder.

(snip)
I wonder when the first frost will be?
Could we make it to mid-November (or even December) with fresh home

grown
tomatoes?

Buy your tickets for the sweepstake here :-)

We've not yet had a frost at garden and sea level, though there was
snow on the mountains yesterday morning and the coldest wind so far.Last
weekend I went to collect seaweed on a pebble beach and found a tomato
plant growing there. It had one truss of small green fruit so I cut it
off and have it on the windowsill to see if they ripen.

Forecast is down to 1C tonight so there is a risk of frost.
To pick or not to pick, that is the question....

Took some of my own advice (not always a good move) and picked a good number
of green tomatoes, mainly still on the truss.
There was no frost, and the outdoor plants are still flowering and setting
fruit!
Now watching the 'ripening race' between picked and unpicked tomatoes and
the unpicked seem to be winning.
So I will persevere with the outdoor plants until they get hit by a frost.