Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Steve

Default sweet peppers inside for winter?

I have a pepper plant in a pot. I've had it for 5 or 6 years, maybe
more. I've decided to toss it on the compost pile and not save it
another year.
I don't live in a good pepper growing climate. I thought leaving it in
the pot and starting the season with a bigger plant might give me more
peppers. That didn't work too well. I actually got few if any peppers
during the summer but usually got several small ones when I brought it
indoors in the fall.
Try it, they are fairly easy to winter over indoors as long as you can
provide enough light to keep them going.

Steve in the Adirondacks

David Auker wrote:
It's starting to be freezing temperatures here, so I've dug up and potted a
bunch of sweet red pepper plants that I started from seed last winter. They
had a good growing season, and I can't bear to see my babies die out there!

I understand that peppers are a perennial, so if I succeed in keeping them
alive until May, it seems I would be way ahead of a normal planting of young
plants with these oldsters??

Any experience out there in wintering over sweet pepper plants? I
half-tried once, and about all that happened was I was growing aphids inside
:-(

David