Old 03-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Daniel Hanna

Default Dormant spray

In R & L Porter wrote:
I was wondering if an application of dormant oil in the
Spring would help smother the larvae -- on the canes
and on the surrounding earth. Any ideas, opinions?

We've had something like this discussion before. I've always been
intrigued by the American term 'dormant' spray. If what we're talking
about is a petroleum oil, water miscible spray then it's the same as the
white oil and pest oil sprays sold in Australia. See eg:

http://www.amgrowgardenking.com.au/p...s_whiteoil.htm

On roses, this stuff is great all season. Without being toxic it
manages to smother aphids, scale insects, mites, mildew, black spot and
others. I can see absolutely no difference in effect compared to neem
oil (which is trendy but works basically the same way, at 5 times the
cost).