Old 07-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Cichlidiot

Default Nymphaea lotus (zenkeri) in container pond?

Has anyone ever tried Nymphaea lotus (zenkeri) bulbs (I believe the common
name is "Tiger Lotus Lily") in a small container pond? Apartment dweller
here so I am limited to what I can do, which means small (half barrel at
most) and not really a power source either so no water movement. I have
been considering a water feature amongst my veggie planters for the
spring. I ended up with a handful of Nymphaea bulbs in my quest to get
some more Aponogeton crispus for my tanks (in fact a whole package of
"aponogeton" bulbs turned out to be Nymphaea bulbs). Right now they're
just sitting around because I couldn't use them in the tank, but I'm
wondering if they'd do well in the water feature. If so, how many of them
should I plant in say a half barrel container pond? I have 6 that seem to
be viable. Needless to say I wasn't expecting to get lilies instead of
Aponogeton, but I'm trying to make the best of it, heh.