Old 07-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Greg G.

Default Malachite Green and Formalin in planted tank

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:03:17 -0500, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

what fish did you buy and bring home and dump in your tank to learn such a
valuable lesson... jk about that, are the fish clown loaches or any other
scaleless fish???

Ha, ha. :-p

It was 2 golden brigesii apple snails and 4 ottocinclus sp.
As mentioned, the store has a very clean reputation, but as I did it,
I was mumbling to myself, "I'll regret this..."

I did quarantine them for a few days, but got impatient when a batch
of tetras I had been waiting on arrived - they took over the
quarantine tank. (It's only 10 gals.) Apparently, either the snails
or the otto's dropped most of the parasites in the quarantine tank -
the new tetras are heavily infested.

Actually, the situation has improved already. After quick treatment
of the main tank, I haven't seen any new evidence of ich yet, and
existing cases have visibly disappeared. I keep a couple of sunset
platies in there because they are ich magnets... (and they eat some
algea). For some reason, the livebearers seem to show spots first.

Now to continue staining the aquarium for the next two weeks...