Old 04-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Julia

Default new grower

Darlene wrote:
I followed the instructions on the package. 2 foot deep and round hole mound
of bone meal treated dirt with roots around it. Filled and watered with B-1
for 10 days. Then water once a week since. I got the bush at Home Depot it
was one of the premium bushes but I do not know which one. After
re-watering it yesterday with a tablespoon or so of the B-1 the leaves have
perked up. I cannot see if the black on the cut ends of part of the bush
are any worse or not.

I'm in coastal San Diego. I've seen cane dieback on new bare-roots
before. Most often it's because the rose has not been properly
re-hydrated before planting. It doesn't sound as if you soaked the
plant before putting it in the ground. I'd cut the black part of those
canes off before it spreads. Cut at least a quarter to half an inch
below where the end of the black stops, even if that means you're
cutting off some new foliage. If you don't, the cane will definitely
continue to die back. Keep an eye on it and don't let the dieback spread.