Old 10-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Andrew

Default Ailing Masdevallia - any hope of recovery?

Ben Durbin wrote in message . ..
I'm afraid that I've killed my first orchid. I purchased it at an
orchid show in San Francisco last year, and it's been getting steadily
worse ever since. I've taken a few photos of its current state
(www.airpork.com/masdevallia) and I'm wondering if anyone could tell
me whether or not it's beyond hope. If it can be revived, do I need to
just get it back on a regular watering/feeding schedule, or will it
need new medium? I think it's in sphagnum moss now.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give a complete orchid
newbie.

Regards,

Ben

Given that some leaves are growing well while others are collapsing
check the roots. Consider replacing the mix. Sphagnum is great for
masdevallia but it generally needs replacing yearly (adding shredded
polystyrene or perlite can extend the life of the mix a little). Some
growers also pack the sphagnum very tightly and if you don't realise
this its very easy to over water and rot the roots. I had this problem
recently with a coccinea. It lost all of its rots and had only a two
leaves left. After repotting it's bouncing back strongly. So long as
you can give it the right conditions I'd say you have a very good
chance of it recovering. Expect to lose more leaves in the process but
it should eventually come good.
Andrew