Old 12-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Snooze

Default Building a pond with a window

"mdurkin" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi All,
I'm about to build a brick pond with a window and was hoping for some
advice. Here's what I'm planning at the moment:

snip

For the window, this will be on the short length wall and I planned to
build the outer wall with a suitably sized hole (40cm x 120cm), lintel
above. I planned to build the inner wall with a slightly larger hole so
that I can have a piece of glass cut that will significantly overlap
the outer hole. I'd then use window sealant to seal it in place.

One thing to consider is the time investment you'll be forever committed to.
Glass windows in public aquariums look nice because they have people who
clean off all the algae growth off every day. At home you probably could get
away with once every few days or so. A window showing an up-close and
personal view of the pond scum probably won't be as nice as you planned.

Additionally consider the location of the hole. You said you plan to make
the brick wall 60cm high. Which is about 2ft, so the window would be
centered about 1ft off the ground. A bit low for an adult to enjoy, perhaps
children might.

Sameer