Old 12-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Richard Sharp

Default how do they make tomatoes red when they are not ripe

On 4 Nov 2003 13:57:24 -0800, (Doctoroe) wrote:

Just bought some bright red tomatoes at the grocery, since we are out
of the fresh ones. These are hard as can be. Obviously they are
green. How do they make em red when they are obviously not ripe? The
first one we tried had about as much taste as sawdust. Now have the
other two sitting in the window sill, but they are still hard as
softballs.

These are the famous (infamous) hot house tomatoes that we tomatoe
lovers avoid like the plague. I think that they are artifically
ripened with ethelye (?sp) gas. I do not know of any way to make them
edible.
Best,
Richard