Old 14-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Shiva

Default Oh dear - witches broom on my Old Blush climber

dave weil wrote:

Yes, dear friends, I have witches broom on my rather extensive and
sprawling Old Blush climber. Here's the evidence.

http://www.pbase.com/image/23272504
http://www.pbase.com/image/23272556

I'm rather down about it at the moment. I'm assuming that this 20 foot
rose bush has to go, right?

Please, somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Please.

Dave, this is just sickening. That is unmistakably
Rose Rosette Disease or "Witch's Broom" as you
mentioned. There is a great deal of information
on this at Gardenweb, you can do a search. I think you
have to get it out of there and burn it, and I am
pretty sure your other roses may be in danger.

Do you have any multiflora around? Do you know what
it looks like? I have mistaken it for blackberry--which
is in the same family. It makes masses of sweet-smelling,
tiny white blooms. It is the rose that carries this
mite-born disease. I'm so sorry you have this in
your nice garden, Dave.