Old 16-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Jim Seidman

Default Crook Crypts

"Seweryn" wrote in message ...
My crypts (several varieties) over the past week (after 3 weeks of green
water) have developed translucent spots and patches, with some of the leaves
also curling lengthways. Now some of the leaves are disintegrating off their
stems. Does this sound like a K defficiency? I added some extra Sera Florena
yesterday, but so far, no change.

You don't say what your substrate is or whether you have other plants
that are doing OK. With the limited information, I think that metal
toxicity is a more likely diagnosis than K deficiency.

If you have other plants, they'd probably show a K deficiency before a
slow-growing crypt. On the other hand, there are many components of
fertilizers and substrates that cause problems in too high of doses,
including Fe and Ca. These toxicity problems usually show up in
slower-growing plants first.

The fact that this is showing up after green water supports this idea,
as the algae may have been consuming a lot of the problem nutrient.

I don't know what's in Sera Florena, or what other fertilizers you
use, but you may want to cut way back and see if things improve.

- Jim