Old 16-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Tim Tompkins

Default Edging for mounded rose bed ...

My 'small' raised/mounded beds are built with 2"X6" redwood sides, 12" to
18" high as required by the contour and slope of my lot. These beds are
approximately 10' X 20'

My 'large' raised/mounded bed simply slopes away at the edges. This bed is
approximatly 30'X50'

The soil in my area is a very heavy and alkaline clay, growing in raised
beds (12" to 15" deep) gives me complete control of the soil composition.

ALL my roses are HEAVILY mulched with wood chips and the HT's get additional
soil around the graft for winter. (Zone 5)

I am a big believer in organic mulch, it provides insulation, retards
moisture loss from evaportation and provides a continuous supply of new
'compost' at the soil/mulch boundry. The mulch requires replentisment after
several years, a very small price to pay for the benefit it provides.

Tim