Old 17-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Blarneytoad

Default Q: Malachite Green and Formalin in planted tank

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 03:24:52 -0500, Greg
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 01:03:44 -0700, Chuck Gadd wrote:

What I want to know is if Malachite Green and Formalin will harm the
plants in a 75 gal planted tank, dosed at 1 drop per gallon.

Malachite Green/Formalin is safe for plants.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Thought as much, but wanted to be sure.
As usual, Thanks for the info!

Greg

I might be joining this conversation a little late but I'd like
to relate this experience to you. About 3-4 weeks ago
I bought 2 small angel fish, one clown loach and 3 bleeding
heart tetras. Short story: ick broke out and some fish showed
signs-not all though. One angel fish died and the clown loach died
the loach looked like it was wasting away when it arrived-think there
is a name for that disease and I guess it's common. Not sure what
got the angel-it did have ick but I think it also was harrassed by the
bleeding hearts (the surviving angel is doing fine but has a 'hair
cut' thanks to BH tetras) Some of the established fish had a very few
number of spots but I did not treat the tank-all fish are disease
free,growing and healthy. I've had outbreaks before but I never,ever
ever,treat my plant tank with anything for it and I don't loose any
fish that where already in the tank-occasionally-rarely- a new arrival
will succumb but it's usually over stressed from it's journey from
where it's bred/caught to it's arrival in my tank and is either gonna
make it or it's not.If your tank is a good healthy stress free
environment that is probably the best Rx you can give your fish.
IMHO adding chemicals to your tank adds stress to all inhabitants.
Just my .02