Old 17-11-2003, 07:42 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Brazilian Raintree/ Texas Ebony revisited

The other day during our TE discussion I mentioned I didn't THINK they were same family, and I was QUICKLY corrected that both were Pithecellobium.
I mentioned to Bart ( offline) that I thought this because I thought I'd remembered Jim Moody/Carolyn Carver calling them by another name.
Soooo, I was interested enough to look up my Jupiter order form, and sure enough, Jim calls it "Samanea Saman" ( I told Bart I thought it was something like that) and TE is listed as Pithecellobium flexicaule.
Jim Moody is pretty much accepted as the person to introduce BR to Florida as bonsai stock. I seem to recall he told me that he got some seeds sent him by someone in South America, Some Floridians probably know the story better than me for sure!
Anyway, I did a search of the Samanea name and bingo, all kinds of Mimosa, raintree, etc. stuff came up.
What's the story guys. Is this a case of more than one name commonly given to a tree ( ala "kingsvilles" as per last week) or are there a couple different types of "Brazilian Raintree".
Brent, any ideas?

Regards,
Dale " always curious, but not enough to research it!" Cochoy

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++