Old 06-02-2003, 05:12 AM
Cass

Default Ping-CassBlack area on my new bare roots, should I be worried?

A guy named Emil wrote:

Hi, Emil. Julia and Bob are both good rosarians who have planted more
bareroot roses than you and I have seen our lifetimes. I've met both of
them. Julia has 500 roses or more, and Bob probably approaches half
that number. You should consider their opinions carefully. Each of us
is speculating, since any one or a combination of things could cause
the canes to darken and die back: dehydration, disease, natural die
back to a bud eye and half a dozen other things.

Did you catch these 2 posts recently made here?

They are in the topic "new grower"

Julia wrote:
"I'm in coastal San Diego. I've seen cane dieback on new bare-roots
before. Most often it's because the rose has not been properly
re-hydrated before planting..... Cut at least a quarter to half an inch
below where the end of the black stops, even if that means you're
cutting off some new foliage. If you don't, the cane will definitely
continue to die back. Keep an eye on it and don't let the dieback spread."

Julia grows roses in a location most similar to your own. Listen to her.

and

Bob Bauer
wrote:
"Your rose has the fatal fungal disease 'Black Cane Canker'.

There is hope however.

You must cut off all of the black stuff ASAP, 1/2 inch below the
lowest appearance of the black stuff, if you want to save the rose.
If the black reaches the bud union, your rose is toast.

I'll bet Bob grows lots of bareroots because he likes modern roses.
Listen to him. It's the same advice. :~) What's a quarter or half inch?

I read and this and was thinking does it apply to me?

I don't really know the cause of the dieback, Emil, but I do know this:
whether from dehydration, disease or natural death, you will need to
cut off the dead part, now or eventually. If it's worrying you, cut
back now. Get good pruners: invest in equipment (I can see you do that
with the 4 wheel variety) and get Felcos that fit your hand.

Should I cut off those black areas I mentioned?

Sure, you can't hurt your rose by cutting it off. Many rosarians trim
up their bareroots before they plant them, cutting off any thin little
canes, reducing the overall number to 3 or 4, and reducing the length
to a couple of bud eyes. I just let them be.

Do you think my rose will die! :-( LoL, it has such
nice growth growing, I hope that doesn't happen.

Don't worry, be happy. There are a hundred ways to grow roses: lots of
care, little care, lots of intervention, little intervention.
Fortunately, roses are not fragile and survive it. I am a minimalist
when it comes to whittling on my roses, which is why I like to point
out that canes do die of natural causes, and it isn't always cause for
alarm.

Heres are the pics again:
http://dodgetrucks.org/cgi-bin/index.pl?photo=4682

and