Old 21-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Bill Bolle

Default garlic developing tops...what do i do?

wrote:
I planted my garlic in october and now I am seeing considerable top
growth, due to warmer than expected temperatures. is this going to cause
problems? the variety is a hardneck, russian red. thanks

This happens to me every year. I just tuck them in with some mulch of
cut grass or leaves and even if the exposed garlic leaves freeze they
come back strong in the Spring. The wild onions and garlic in my lawn
don't seem to be harmed by winter freeze and snow, come back strong in
the Spring without the benefit of mulch and I can't get rid of them.
Not to worry--------Bill