Old 02-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Gary Woods

Default garlic developing tops...what do i do?

Colin Malsingh wrote:

Ok, this is the expected pattern. But do you have any advice for those
who's garlic *hasn't* shown any sign of growth above the ground?

ISTR the conventional wisdom is that it's better for there NOT to be
top-growth before winter, because this growth is winter damaged and costs
the clove some energy stores. Thankfully, I'm almost always behind
schedule, so I seldom see any pre-winter growth, though I do get it in the
recommended 6-8 weeks before the ground freezes. This fall, I put a thin
mulch over it to slow freezing a bit; I'll add more once the ground does
freeze.
Right now, the wind is howling about like a bad Alaska gold rush movie.