Old 23-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Or Kid

Default Checking the Moisture Level

(IiSpankyii) wrote in message ...
You could also take the skewer, and 'shave' off the end like a pencil just to
expose some of that 'unpolished' wood. It may not be absorbing any moisture
because of the shiny surface. Try it, you got nothing to lose.

I took your advice and tried to shave with a knife; very slow. I then
tried a tough nail file. The sound it made! Ugh! So I split a
skewer, and tested it in damp moss. Hmm, hard to tell anything. So
I split a few, soaked them in water overnight (the theory being that
it would improve future absorption, as when one soaks bark medium),
let them dry, and inserted them in the various pots when I watered
them. It seems to work!

Thanks!