Old 04-12-2003, 05:32 AM
Scott Cory

Default NW: Best grass for a non garden/non mowing kind of guy

Yes, I too hate lawns. I promised my entire family I would NOT have a
lawn. I swore I would just pave it and make it into a big chess
board. But one of the joys of having to spend $21,000 (ugh) on a
septic system is that this one requires lawn, or something with a
simple root structure. Its output is a drip system that sits 6 inches
below the ground and is a series of pipes 12 inches apart all over the
property with water dripping out everytime a toilet is flushed. So I
need something to prevent runoff. We are going to do vines or
whatever the ground version is and I want to be able to at least walk
on the rest so it looks like grass..... Or 'grass man' to that other
poster

hermine stover wrote in message . ..
On 1 Dec 2003 12:25:55 -0800, (Scott Cory) wrote:
But many people look at grass as a labor
of love and I am looking at it a bit more conventionally.

Oh, the lawn area would be maybe 3,500 square feet if that makes a
difference

Thanks for any thoughts

Scott

Well, i despise lawns and would sooner install parquet flooring
outdoors as mow a lawn. let me ask you this, do you live in a place
which forbids such things as "meadows"? a meadow is a delightful
thing or place, it allows for picnics and other oudoor adventures and
does not require mowing. the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens publishes a
booklet on groundcovers and grasses; i wrote a wee chapter on dwarf
groundcover bamboos for it...but it is also full of other things you
could plant, many of which would add up to an actual meadow. lawns are
evil things, they lead to golf and mowing and other dangerous
pastimes.

I support your efforts fully.