Old 05-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Down Under On The Bucket Farm

Default Understanding Zucchini / Courgette

Hi Everybody,

Please understand that this is my first year with vegetables.
(And I live in the southern hemisphere, where we are just getting
into summer.)

I have a pair of zucchini/ courgette plants, in the same 10-litre
(2.5 gal) bucket. There have recently been a few flowers (light
orange), along with several buds looking ready to bloom.

My question is... some flowers have a thin stem, but a couple of
them have a thick stem, which I am thinking might be a zucchini-
in-progresss? They are a couple of inches long, dark green,
slightly ribbed in a length-wise direction (i.e. the long
direction), and slightly fuzzy.

Is this an issue of male vs. female flowers? Should I expect
these stem thingies to become vegetables? How do I see if
pollination/fertillisation has happenned (there are plenty of
bees, etc here)? If my gues is right, how many weeks untill I
should harvest?

Thanks in advance! All of your advice and info is appreciated!

-V

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz